This article shall cover how licenses are assigned to individual scan targets and the different authentication methods available;
- Online authentication via Ground Labs login
- Online authentication via scan token
- Offline authentication via license file
Note that for online authentication to work, you will need to ensure your system is able to connect to our authentication servers;
- auth1.groundlabs.com ( 188.8.131.52 )
- auth2.groundlabs.com ( 184.108.40.206 )
- auth3.groundlabs.com ( 220.127.116.11 )
* All servers are listening on TCP port 80
Online authentication via Ground Labs login
This authentication method requires you to login using your Ground Labs portal credentials.
Once a search has been initiated by the user, CR will automatically assign any available licenses in your account to your scan targets.
Should your account have insufficient licenses, an error message will show.
Online authentication via scan token
If you've received a scan token from a QSA to run CR on your scan target, you may use it to do a one-time authentication valid for one scan.
Offline authentication via license file
Whether it's by preference, or your scan target doesn't have access to the Internet (or more specifically, to our authentication servers), you may choose to use a license file instead.
To obtain the license file however, you'd still need to use a workstation with Internet access in order to manually assign your license/s to your scan target/s and to download the license file afterwards.
Assigning licenses to scan targets
In order to manually assign licenses, it is crucial to obtain the hostname/s of your scan target/s.
Once you're ready to do the assignment, follow the steps below:
- Login to the Ground Labs portal
- Scroll down to the 'Licenses Available' section and click on 'manually assign'
(If on the 'advanced' UI)
From the top menu, select the 'Licenses' tab, browse to the appropriate 'Client' then 'Download <PROJECT>'
- In the pop-up window, click 'Add a new target'
Alternatively, you may do bulk assignment by using a simple .TXT or .CSV file/spreadsheet by clicking the 'Upload a spreadsheet' button
Here's an example of a compatible text file
- An empty field should appear in the targets list, enter the hostname of the scan target you wish to assign your license to in the 'hostname' text field
- Ensure that the product you're licensing for is correct and select the appropriate license pack you purchased to utilize a license from it
- Once you've added all your targets, click on the 'Download license' button to download the license file
Once you have your license file, simply transfer it to your scan target and make sure it's in the same directory as the Card Recon executable.
You can also transfer both the executable and license file to a USB flash drive and run Card Recon from it.
All information in this article is accurate and true as of the last edited date.